Sorry again for not posting for so long!! I have been travelling a lot! I am not complaining, as the trips are fun! I am still not back at home but sitting in a hotel room, and I thought I would make a post about this recipe since I heard someone talk about quinoa. So I was doing a bus tour and this lady next to me, was asking her friend how to make quinoa tasty?? So she wanted to add peanut sauce to her quinoa… I have never tried that.. but just some store bought sauce with quinoa kind of defies the purpose of having a healthy meal with quinoa. So I knew I should make a post about my quinoa recipe. I love shrimps and I love rice, and I think quinoa is a great substitute for rice. This pilaf or pulao in Bengali is made with rice so I just substituted with the quinoa. Hope you enjoy it!:)
|Quinoa Pilaf||Shrimp Skewers|
|1 ½ Cup Organic Quinoa||15-18 Pieces Shrimps (De-shelled with tails intact)|
|2 cups chicken broth||3 Bamboo Stick|
|1 Tbsp Butter||3 Garlic Cloves|
|2 Bay leaves||1 Tbsp Lemon Grass Paste|
|2 Cinnamon Sticks (approx 2 cm each)||1 Tbsp Lemon Juice|
|3 Cloves||3 Tbsp Olive Oil|
|4 Garlic cloves (crushed)||½ Tsp Red Chili Powder|
|1 Small Onion, chopped||Salt & Pepper to Taste|
Wash the quinoa in fine mesh strainer, and drain.
Heat up a small pot and melt the butter. Add the bay leaves, cinnamon and cloves to the butter.
Sautee the whole spices and add in the onion and garlic and then stir for a few minutes until they are fragrant. Do take a whiff, it smells delicious!
Add the quinoa to the pot, and sauté for a few minutes.
Then add the broth and 1 cup of water, and bring to a boil.
Then simmer with the cover on till all the water has evaporated.
You can serve it with just some roasted vegetables too!
In a small blender add the garlic, olive oil, lemon grass, lemon juice and chili powder and make into smooth sauce.
Use this sauce to marinade the shrimps. Cover and let the juices soak into the shrimps for at least an hour.
Thread the shrimps into skewers.
Cook them on a grill pan or even on your outdoor grill. Cook till no longer pink inside and nice grill marks on the outside! 🙂
Serve with quinoa pilaf and roasted vegetables.
- Quinoa 101 (foodophilic.wordpress.com)
- Quinoa Caprese (angelacarlino.com)
- meatless monday: quinoa and spring vegetable pilaf (saralittleyoga.wordpress.com)
- Shrimp, Bacon, and Quinoa with Herbed Cream Sauce (lattesandleggings.com)
- Kitchen Sink Quinoa (suhlizi.wordpress.com)
- Quinoa Fruit Salad with Honey Lime Dressing (angelacarlino.com)
- Quinoa Tabbouleh (gourmetonthegoblog.com)
- 5 Healthy Quinoa Recipes From Around the Web (news.health.com)
- Roasted Broccolini Quinoa Salad with Broiled Shrimp (icookieatilive.wordpress.com)
- New Recipe! (catholicgirlwithadog.wordpress.com)