It has been a while since I posted something suitable for vegetarians, so I thought I would do this one for my vegetarian friends. I sometimes make this soup with vegetable stock and sometimes with chicken stock just go ahead and use what you have available. This nourishing soup is perfect for these cold and rainy evenings, when you have warm crusty bread to mop up this hearty soup. The vegetable I use are all fresh and should be plentiful in your local grocery stores. I find this soup to be quite delightful as it is but if you want to make a richer version just go ahead and add cream instead of milk. The soup had a warm welcome from my husband who was murmuring yum with every mouthful! Hope you enjoy it too! 🙂
3 Celery Ribs
1 Large Carrot
1 Leek ( white & light green parts)
1 Sweet Potato
1 Large Onion
1 Tsp Oregano & Thyme
6-7 Cloves Garlic
2 Cups Chicken Stock
1 Cup Milk
7-8 White Mushrooms
1 Tbsp Butter
Chop all vegetables into small pieces.
In a soup pot heat some olive oil. Start by adding the onions and sweating them then add in the garlic, leave 2 cloves for later.
Now add the celeriac sauté for a few minutes and add the celery, carrots, leek and sweet potato.
Add the thyme and Oregano & Sweat the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper.
Once the vegetables have softened a little bit then add the broth and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
Then turn the heat down and simmer for 45 minutes.
Take it off the heat and put the contents in a blender.
In the same pot, heat up the butter.
While the butter browns add in the garlic, then add in the mushrooms.
Sauté the mushrooms for a few minutes and then add the blended soup back in the pot. Then slowly add in the milk.
Simmer for a further 10 minutes. Turn off the heat.
Serve by ladling the soup into individual bowls topped with parsley flakes.
- Kielbasa, Kale and Lentil Soup (therapybread.com)
- Celeriac and cider soup (mrsveg.wordpress.com)
- Celeriac gratin, the perfect partner for pork.. (fullenglishkitchen.wordpress.com)
- Healthy Chiquita Banana Split Pea Soup Recipe (chiquitabananas.com)
- Clean Cooking for Beginners: Soups (ashleyrightnow.wordpress.com)
- Portuguese Chicken and Kale Soup (wwjme.com)
- Celery Potato Soup (thenewloaf.com)
- Pinto Bean Chicken Soup (teresasfamilykitchen.wordpress.com)
- Jamaican Jerk Soup (thegreatamericanfeast.wordpress.com)
- Recipe: Butter Bean & Bacon Soup (dfw.cbslocal.com)