I know that chili pots are usually made with canned tomatoes with the juices flowing, but I did not have canned tomatoes so I just used fresh tomatoes, and the result was a refreshing tasting chili, loved by everyone who tasted it. Well the secret to this chili is not just the fresh tomatoes, but the added turkey bacon to it combined with the right vegetables and spices. I also, used three different kind of flavours to add heat to this chili, so the combination is something I always repeat with my chili pots. There are some days when I don’t have fresh tomatoes in the fridge then I just use canned tomatoes, or even sometimes leave out the bacon or celery, which turns out good as well, as long as you use the spice combination I used. And don’t forget to add your favourite toppings especially if you are having with corn chips or nachos, I have listed mine below. Hope you enjoy it!
1 lb ground Turkey
4 Strips Turkey Bacon, chopped
3 Tomatoes, chopped
1 Red Pepper, chopped
1 Onion, chopped
5-6 Garlic Cloves, crushed
1 Can Red Kidney Beans
2 Ribs Celery, chopped
1 Large Carrot, shredded
3-4 Jalapenos or Green Chilies
1 Tsp Cumin Powder
1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 Tsp Paprika
1 Tsp Oregano, dried
½ Tsp Thyme, dried
½ Cup Red Wine
Toppings: Shredded Cheese, Avocado, Sour Cream
In a Dutch-Oven, heat up some olive oil.
Add the crushed garlic and sauté for a minute or until the lovely aroma arises.
Then add in the bacon and fry for a bit. To this add the chopped onions and brown this.
Now add in the turkey mince, season with salt and pepper and thoroughly brown.
Then add in the green chilies, celery, pepper and stir to sweat the vegetables for a while.
Stir in the cayenne pepper, paprika, oregano and thyme with the tomatoes & beans. Mix well and sauté for a further few minutes.
Now add in the red wine and simmer for half an hour.
Serve with some rice or nachos, topped with your favourite toppings.
- Noteworthy, recipe saving Chicken Soup…chickens beware (cookingtipsforthekitchenimpaired.wordpress.com)
- The Prudent Pantry: Easy Vegan Corn Chowder Recipe (savings.com)
- Enhancing Your Dinner With Low-Fat Lentil Lemon Soup (lowfat.answers.com)
- Sunday Pot Roast (saraheatsaustin.com)
- Quick Chicken and Chorizo Jambalaya (fatsandbird.com)
- White Bean Chicken Chili! (merchteamcuisine.wordpress.com)
- White Bean Soup with Croutons and Bacon (mainstcuisine.wordpress.com)
- Vegetarian Ratatouille (chefceaser.wordpress.com)